Designed by architects Fowler and Hill, the Playhouse Theatre opened in March 1882 under the name of the Avenue Theatre. It is said that this site was chosen for this theatre because speculator Sefton Parry was hoping that the South-Eastern Railway would have to acquire the land so that future extension of Charing Cross Station could be conducted. Hence, allowing Sefton to make a considerable profit. Needless to say that such extension never happened and the Playhouse proudly stands today overlooking the newly built footbridge over the Thames.
The former Playouse was built in French renaissance style with an elevation of Portland stone, ornamental carving and statues over the main entrance and internal decoration of ivory and gold. Due to its intimacy, the Playhouse auditorium has always been one of the actors favourite from all London Theatres.
In 1905, during its reconstruction led by new manager Cyril Maude, part of Charing Cross Station collapsed onto the building. As a result, improvements were delayed and although most of the exterior was retained, the interior was completely reconstructed and redecorated in rich brown and gold. After a long series of successes, the Playhouse Theatre closed during the World War II.
For 25 years it became the home of BBC radio and transformed as a recording studio. In 1987, under new proprietor Robin Gonshaw, the Playhouse reopened as a theatre and restored to its former 1907 decor. Various managements followed and previous productions include: The Juda Kiss, Naked, Much Ado About Everything, Thunderbirds F.A.B and Dancing In The Streets.